Monday, March 31, 2008

I Am...

First, a disclaimer. This is totally for me, it is my own thing and thoughts I have been having lately, I don't want anyone to feel like they have to read or comment on this. I write here because I stink at keeping a journal, so this is where I'm going to put this down.

I was reading the March Ensign the other day and I read "I Am The Way" by David A. Edwards. I'll admit, I started reading it because it was short, and it looked simple, and it was broken down into little chunks that were completely manageable to me. I really enjoyed reading this article, and it helped me think about some things. In the article, it goes through several of the "I Am" statements that the Savior uses during His ministry. (Like I am the bread of life, the vine, the good shepherd, etc.) It explains each of those statements in a little bit of detail. It was interesting to have all of them chunked together. I knew that Jesus often spoke that way, but I didn't realize how often he would share things starting with those two words. I AM...

It occurred to me that He never said "I am not capable" or "I am not loved" which are things that I know people often feel. Even if He felt that way, he was wise enough and understood the Father's plan enough to look past those things. "I am the light of the world" he would say...not "I'm not good enough today" So, all of His "I Am" s were positive. Are mine?

Also, He shared with people what He is. Do I do that? He was willing to share himself with the world. I know there were private things in His life, but He was so willing to BE, and share that with me, and everyone that has ever lived on the planet.

What do I think "I am?" I know it is not always positive. I'd like to think more positively. Here's a short list to help me keep things positive and in perspective.
I am:
  • A daughter of God
  • A daughter of my parents
  • A wife
  • A mother
  • A teacher
  • A musician
  • A friend
  • A helper
  • A listener
  • A sharer
This is what I say that I am. The article was followed by a page of testimonies titled "Whom say ye that I am?" I like that idea too. Christ asked other people to think about what He is to them. People always have perceptions about others around them. I have an affect on the things they might think about me. (I know I don't have total control, but I can make a difference.) I want to live my life in a way that when I find out what others "say that I am" it is a positive thing. I want to represent the Church well to my neighbors, I want to represent my family well to those I come in contact with. I want to be a positive influence in the lives of the primary kids I work with. There are so many things that go into what "I AM."

Really, I have been thinking about this idea a lot. I just had to get some of it out of my head. There's not enough space there for everything that's going on!

8 comments:

Mama D said...

Wow! This is profound. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will need to read that article in the Ensign. Even more importantly, afterwards I am going to write my own list of "I am" and ponder how I influence those around me. THANKS for this! I needed to hear this.

Louann and Bari said...

I think
you are- Brilliant
you are- Funny
you are- Beautiful
you are- Patient
you are- Creative
you are- a wonderful example to me.
Love You!!!!

Papa D said...

Truly profound, Sarah. Thanks.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the insights...we often learn so much from from each other than on our own! This gives me a lot to ponder on.

Jen said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts and I'm excited to read that article!

Steve and Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing your insights. I need to be better about remembering the things that I am and stop focusing on the things that I am not.

Pampered Princess said...

Sarah, That was really nice. I like the way you internalized the article. I am inadequate in how I'm trying to thank you, but anyway..... Thank you.
p.s. You have a beautiful smile.
Maura

Patty said...

I realized after book club that I had been guilty of reading your blog and not commenting because everyone had already said it all- so I wanted to make amends and let you know I thought this was an awesome post and I'm really glad you shared it. You are an amazing woman and I love your insight!