Monday, March 10, 2008

The Finisher

I think that every family must have one, and in my family I am it...the finisher. I finish boxes of cereal, crackers, bags of pretzels and chips, jugs of milk, juice, and water, jars of jam and applesauce. Sometimes I wonder if I eat anything besides the dregs of boxes, bags, jugs and jars. I know that it is me in my family because Scott is a "leaver." He leaves 4 Cheezits in the bottom of the box instead of finishing them or just tossing the box. Even better, 1/4 of a bowl of cereal left...does he eat it? NO! Out comes a new box.

I wonder if I have always had this quality? I think I have been the finisher in my family for possibly my whole life. I realized this when we were snowed in at my parents place over the weekend. I finished 3 boxes of cereal. Not because I was starving and devouring whole boxes, or even because I liked the cereal that was open...but because more boxes were being opened.

I suppose it comes from not wanting to waste things...but really. I'm pathetic. I'll mix Life and Froot-Loops to get a whole bowl before opening another box. Usually I don't care, but lately I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick. I mean, if someone else (eh-em) would just take the last little bit of water from the jug and refill it, I wouldn't have that job!

Anyway, I'm just venting a bit and wondering if there are any other finishers out there. Or is it just me?

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

See, Sarah, we grew up fairly lazy. I mean my parents did instill a good work ethic in us when it came to doing chores, yardwork, laundry, etc. We've been doing all that stuff since we were old enough to walk. However, I think it must have started when one person would ask for ice cream in the evenings, and then everyone would chime in, "can you dish me some?" We hated to go that little extra mile for each other. If we finished a box of cereal, we couldn't just leave it out for someone else to throw away...my mom or dad would tell us to throw the garbage away. This meant we would have to break down the box, wash out the carton, stand at the sink to refill the pitcher, etc. It just wasn't convenient. We were lazy and selfish. As long as we just left a little in the container, we couldn't be asked to throw it away. Fortunately I had some roommates who were also leavers, and that drove me nuts. I've noticed, though, that I've reverted back to being something of a leaver because Brandon is a finisher, but he also doesn't do anything with the empty container. So, I clean up after him and wait for him to finish what I've left so that I can clean up after him again.

Louann and Bari said...

I also get the 'finisher' sock drawer. If you can't match it, somehow it goes into MOM's drawer. Please don't ever look at my feet (if I'm wearing socks- they won't match).

The worst problem in our house is the 1 SPOONFULL OF ICE CREAM !!!! Yep- JUST TAKE IT! I'd rather find the carton in the trash, than get all excited about having some only to find out there is only a SPOONFULL left---and I mean spoonfull!

Leslie said...

What an interesting question. I guess, for the most part, I'm probably the leaver and James is probably the finisher. He, too, hates to waste things. Thanks for giving me some enlightenment. I'll try to not leave things for James to finish -- well, at least not as much. ;)

Cassie Rakes said...

I am a definite finisher, and I hear ya, Amen sister.

Corrie- said...

I think I play the roles of both if that's possible. I'll finish most of the cereal except for the little tiny pieces that gloop up in the milk, but then I'll toss the box because Andy doesn't eat cold cereal. I'll add a little water to the end of the handsoap to get all the goodness out too, but I will go get a new tube of toothpaste rather than use the crusty dried stuff at the end when you're squeezing it out.

How about I think I'm the 'writer' of the shopping list, when I finish something I'll add it to the list to get a new whatever at the store. Other people in my house don't always remember...(but I love him anyway.)

Mary said...

My husband is definitely the "finisher." If there are a few chips left or a few crackers I usually send them to work with him to snack on.

Pampered Princess said...

Geez, I never thought about this. When it comes to food, Shane and I are both finishers. It just depends on who likes the food the most. He's pretty nice and lets me always have his leftovers when we eat out and it's Mexican!

As far as chores and laundry go, I am THE FINISHER (this should be said with an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent). And I'm good at it!

Steve and Jamie said...

In Steve's family, it was taboo to eat the last cookie/cracker or whatever. If you ate the last one, you were accused of eating the WHOLE BOX!

Mama D said...

I have been known to scrape out the last of the jam or what-not LONG past when others thought the jar was empty! (But of course, the jar is still sitting there. My kids don't seem to know how to throw away or refill containers that are empty...)

When it comes to most food, Ray is the finisher, the "garbage disposal," whatever. If the kids can't finish, they pass their plates to Ray. When we moved to Boston, my mom's parting comment to Ray wasn't something along the lines of "take care of my daughter" or "we'll miss you" -- it was "Who is going to finish off all of my leftovers now?!" :)

merrilykaroly said...

I think it's funny when no one wants to be rude and take the last one (like at a party or something)...everyone wants that last cookie or that last chocolate, but no one wants to look bad and just take it. When I get up the guts, you might call me the "snatcher." I mean, hey, if they're not going to eat it....