Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Many Hats of Emily


Our little Emily turned one a couple of days ago. I can't believe how fast the past year went! We had a lot of fun celebrating her birthday and thinking about how much she's grown and changed in the short time we've had her in our lives. I can't imagine our family without her! She is such a princess and enjoys hats of all kinds.

She can be a terror when she's tired. She was a very unsettled infant. However, she's grown into quite the sweet little flower.

It surprises me how calm she's grown to be. She puts up with quite a bit from her big sister. Connor has shown an incredible surge of jealousy this week, due to all of the attention focused on Emily. Emily just wants to hang out with the homies.
I am really thankful for my Emily and the joy she brings into my life. She is such a loving, cuddly girl! She really seems to know when a hug will help me to not feel so down. And her silly faces make a grumpy mom laugh out loud.

We had a lot of fun celebrating her birthday. She was an old pro at opening gifts. She had a lot of practice during the Christmas season.

I was very excited to dust off my cake decorating things. I got to make 2 cakes. It's something I'm not great at, but it's really fun. I enjoy making something special for a birthday. I think that it's one of the way I show love for my kids/husband/siblings by spending the time to make something special for them. Thankfully, Emily's too young to care if it doesn't quite work out how mom had planned!


I know people who make cakes for other people. I think that would be fun, but I don't know if I have the patience or the skill to do something like that. So, for now, my family gets to enjoy my creations...and anybody else who cares to look here!

14 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

She is such a doll! I loved seeing her in her little cap. Those cakes look wonderful! Which one was easier??

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday Emily!!! Six more months 'til Nursery!

Those cakes are amazing!! Way to go! Can I order some for my kids' birthdays? On Ben's fourth birthday, I had a migraine, and hadn't gotten his cake made. We were at Sam's Club running some errands, and I saw some baklavah (sp?). I said, Ben would you like to have birthday baklavah? He said, Yup. And so, that's how I handled his fourth birthday -- pretty sorry, eh?

Mama D said...

Happy birthday, Emily. Sarah, your cakes look amazing! You're talented enough for your family and your blogging friends!

Steve and Jamie said...

Happy Birthday, Emily! I love the pictures, and the cakes look amazing.

Patty said...

Awww... she's so cute! I love all the different hats!
And the cake decorating... another "hidden" talent comes to light! They look fantastic!!

heather said...

She is so adorable! Remind me to never let you see my pathetic attempts at icing anything. I pretty much ask them what color icing they want the box cake mix.Your cakes look like professional materpieces.

Jen said...

I can't believe Emily is one. Wow! Looks like she had a fun birthday, and you did an amazing job on the cakes, they look great!

Mary said...

Those cakes look great. Margaret and Emily have similar opinions of hats. We have hats all over the place!

Scott Hales said...

That was good cake. Too bad it is all gone.

Corrie- said...

WOW, there's a hidden talent in everyone! You did a great job on the cakes Sarah, thanks for being willing to share!

Rebecca said...

We had a lot of fun helping Emily celebrate her birthday! She has brought a lot of joy into our lives, as well!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy JH said...

I think Emily is a cutie! It was fun to celebrate with her. And the cake was delish!

The Watkins said...

Will you make a cake for Madison's first birthday? Wow! Thost look amazing! And Scott's weight thing had me cracking up! Miss you.