Thursday, October 2, 2008

It's really a baby!

I finally went to the doctor for our new baby yesterday.  I'm 17 weeks already.  That's nearly half way.  Wow!  It goes much faster if you never go to the doctor, but I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone.  

I've been extrememly worried about this baby.  I think it has all been because I haven't been able to go to the doctor until now.  But, prayer and blessings have helped me to stay calm (except for a few minor meltdowns)  the past few months while waiting for things that just aren't in my hands.  All of my worry disappeared when the doctor said everything is growing as it should (yes, those of you who don't believe it, my uterus IS just as big as yours was at 17 weeks, it just shoves all of my guts into my lungs and such to make room.)  And, even better, the heartbeat was strong and steady.  When I was pregnant with Emily, sometimes we couldn't find her heartbeat when I went in, so I was nervous that we wouldn't be able to find it this time either.  Not the case, it was right there the moment the nurse put the cold thing on me.  

So, today I'm a bit more content.  Still anxious, short tempered, and moody, but more content.  I wish 20 month olds could understand the worry and decide to not throw fits and have temper tantrums. It would help, I'm guessing.  Oh well, at least one worry is gone now.   I DO have a baby in there, and it appears to be healthy and well.  

I get to have an ultrasound at my next appointment.  Yes, I will find out if it is a boy or a girl.  I just like to know.  I have a feeling it is another girl, but I have been wrong before (Emily was going to be a boy in my head.)  We shall see...I think that maybe once I have had a girl AND a boy I might not need to find out so much, but for now, I'll find out.  Hopefully the technician will be a good one and not get it wrong!

Do you like to know?  Or would you rather be surprised?

13 comments:

Leslie said...

Congratulations!! And, yes, I like to know.

Of course, in Ben's case, the technician got it wrong. So, um, good luck!

So glad that everything is going well. Hang in there!

Louann and Bari said...

Congratulations!!!! I know the first couple of months can be stressful. I'm glad all of your news is good! What is your due date? You must be close to Katy, her's is early March.
And, yes, I only found out one of my children's sex before it's birth. I saw Sammy during an ultrasound. It was unbelieveable, even though, I must say, I do like the suprise of not knowing until the baby actually gets here.-
Call me Old School.

chelle said...

I didn't want to know with Andrew...but all the rest I definitely wanted to know. I love to be prepared. And they have always been right with mine. SO, good luck! I hope your baby is feeling very immodest! :D
And Congrats! I am excited for your family.

Rebecca said...

Hooray! Even as one who likes surprises, I liked knowing about Nicholas and Renae beforehand. I like to think it helped me to bond with them a little before they were each born because I had a name and a gender I could at least associate with them. Now that I have both a boy and a girl, though, I might not find out about the next one until the baby's born. And, if it reassures you at all, that doctor's office was right about both my kids!

Kristen said...

I had an appt back in July, but I was only like 6 weeks along, so they could barely even see anything on the inital ultrasound. And then I didn't have another one until the middle of Sept, so I know (kinda) how you were feeling! I was VERY relieved to hear the heartbeat!

We find out what it is on Monday, and I can't wait! I have no idea how people do it that don't find out (my mother included!), I am way too curious!

Patty said...

If you hadn't told us how far along you were I definitely would have never guessed! Wow!
I'm so happy for you! I'm one of those who wants to know. I think it'll be neat to hear whether your hunch is right this time!

Corrie- said...

Congratulations! I think I would like to be surprised, but not sure if I could actually hold out for the entire time. I hope everything continues to go smooth for your family.

Cyd said...

yay congrats Sarah!

merrilykaroly said...

I like to be surprised....as soon as possible! It was still a surprise for me, I just got the surprise when I was 18 weeks pregnant :) :) And I had a suuuper hard time waiting for even that long!

I am so excited for you! Please post some pictures of your lovely self!

I can't wait for you to find out!

Unknown said...

congrats i want to know

heather said...

I have found out everytime. I figure it's still a surprise I will just be surprised earlier than later. Plus I have to plan I can't stand not knowing and have to be able to plan specifically. And last I need to know because Kevin and I have such a problem coming up with and agreeing on names it would be so hard to go through the process for both genders.
Congratulations and I'm so glad everything is OK.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Congrats!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! That's amazing news!!! I'm glad everything is going good. I'm the same way on finding out. Once I have one of each I might try not knowing. It's just easier knowing you have the right things to take care of them for the first week. Everyone says it's not important because it doesn't matter them if you have to bring them home in pink or blue but it's stressful to think that you'd have to spend the first few weeks getting the right things when you should be home healing. That's my though at least. I'm so happy for you guys!!! You're family is going to be do beautiful!!!! Keep us posted!!!

Mama D said...

Heather, I thought there were only so many names in the Star Wars saga for y'all to choose from... :)

Sarah, congrats! I'm so glad that things are going well and that your worries have eased. I know how important that is, especially with preg hormones raging!

I did not find out the gender with my first 3 and did with my last 3. My mom and older sis had emphasized that by the time you are 9 mo preg, you are so big and uncomfortable and tired of being preg that the only thing to look forward to is which gender the baby will be! I trusted their experience and found that perspective to be very helpful in making it through the end of my first 3 pregnancies! After that, I decided I wanted to experience the other side of knowing! I haven't regretted any of these decisions.