Today I had my first experience with stealing. We were at a craft store with Scott's grandparents, and Connor was getting a little bit bored. I was almost done, so I was letting her wander up and down the aisle, and I wasn't too worried about it. So, we waited in line and were on our way out to the car. I insisted that she hold my hand in the parking lot, (like a good mom, right?) and she wouldn't take her hand out of her pocket. I stopped and made her pull her hand out and out came a container of embossing powder...that was not paid for. UGH! I had to explain to her that we had to take it back, no matter how pretty and sparkly it was, and that it was very naughty to take things that don't belong to you without paying for them. How do you explain that to a three year old?? I made her walk back into the store and give it back to a cashier and apologize. The cashier didn't seem too concerned, and when Connor said "sorry" she said "yeah, just don't do it again OK?" as she walked away. I was embarrassed at first, then I got a little bit angry. I was hoping for a little support from the workers at the store, and I got nothing!! I didn't know what to do... and I think she already forgot about it. Before bed, we were talking about the day, and I asked her what she did today that was very naughty. She said "I was naughty to Emily." (Which was also true.) And when I reminded her about the theft incident, she said, "yeah that was naughty too." I feel like I didn't do enough. Maybe a Family Home Evening lesson on "Thou shalt not steal" is in order?
She looks so innocent, doesn't she!?
9 comments:
At 3 years old, I'm not sure she's going to understand it more than she does right now. I think you've handled it quite well!
Don't worry, I don't think you can do much more at the moment. You did the right things, taking it to the store, and reminding her at bed time, but don't dwell on it. She's a good girl (REALLY) - and she'll 'get it'. This was just a pretty sparkly jar she was curious about. The whole thing about her keeping her hand in her pocket shows that she knows right from wrong, like I said, she'll get it. I just put a really funny video on my blog about motherhood- you should stop by and watch it.
We have had are little thieves as well. Although I can definitely say it was never sparkly powder but gum and of course candy!I did the same thing you did and while it didn't keep them up at night with guilt which I wanted, it wasn't a continual problem. Don't worry I don't think your raising a klepto just a cute normal curious 3 year old with a strong attraction to shiny things.
Keep teaching here as you have. You did exactly the right thing. My little kleptomaniacs are over it now - I think. *grin*
Sarah, I am so glad you are a blogger now...you are very good at saying it how it is :) I am getting a lot of insight into the world of being a mom of two and a mom of a toddler...so I'll keep checking your blog so I can learn from you so I can be an absolute pro when I get there! :)
p.s. I don't think I ever told you but your candyland cake was pretty much the coolest cake I've ever seen!
I, too, believe you handled this perfectly. You taught her the correct principle and how to fix mistakes, and reinforced the concept later.
I agree with Lou -- with her hand in her pocket and reluctant to bring it out, she knew it wasn't "right." She will figure it out as she grows; just keep teaching the principle as the opportunities arise without beating it to death right now.
Good job, Mommy Sarah!
She looks so innocent...until you realize that orange came off of someone else's plate...! ;-) You never cease to amaze me, sis. As for stealing...
Princesses like sparkly things.
:) I'll see you this week. You should probably call me.
You handled it great! Margaret hasn't ever taken anything from a store, but she did sneak a thing of soy sauce into the cart. I didn't find it until I got home but when I checked the receipt it had been paid for. She's not even two yet!
At least it was embossing powder...just kidding! It sounds like you did a great job with teaching her a lesson. It'll sink in!
Post a Comment