I found this today, and I want to remember it, so I'm putting it up here.
This is President Howard W. Hunter talking about the story in Matthew 14, about Peter. (You should read it if you haven't lately!)
"At such times when we feel the floods are threatening to drown us and the deep is going to swallow up the tossed vessel of our faith, I pray we may always hear amid the storm and the darkness that sweet utterance of the Savior of the world: 'Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid' (Matthew 14:27)"
Storm, darkness and tossed vessel of faith are all very familiar to me right now. I have had to have faith a lot longer than I am used to (and patience for that matter) without seeing the result. I KNOW that it is coming eventually and I trust the Lord as much as I can, but it is really hard!!! It would be so easy to give up and sink right now...but I can't.
I would really rather "be of good cheer." And although it's not easy, I'm going to keep trying to do just that. So, the prayers will keep being offered and the cheer will keep up, at least on the surface, even if it feels fake sometimes, I have to try at least!
It's HARD!
3 comments:
Just remember that when the storms are raging there are always friends who are eager to toss you a lifesaver. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. And keep hanging in there!!
I like this passage of scripture also. A few years back - Christopher asked for a copy of a painting about this particular passage of scripture. He kept it hanging in his room and I think he may have taken it on his mission with him. I also like Proverbs 3:5-6.
Hang in there, Sarah! I love this story -- the storm, the fear, the Savior rescuing us, the counsel to be of good cheer. It gives me a lot of hope.
It's hard, really really hard, but don't give up!
I don't want to "promote" myself, but your post reminded me of similar experiences that led me to write about them. And I thought they might help you with some perspective on this:
http://mamadehotel.blogspot.com/2007/11/epiphany-on-walking-by-faith.html
http://mamadehotel.blogspot.com/2007/11/paradigm-shift.html
http://mamadehotel.blogspot.com/2008/01/treading-water.html
Post a Comment