Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Busy Husband

It's getting down to crunch time again this quarter. My husband is always very busy with school, but he usually, somehow, finds the time to make me feel special and important. Yesterday he surprised me by making the bed. I know, it's not a big thing, but it's a big deal to me. He wouldn't care if it never got made (it just gets messed up again every night doesn't it?) but he knows it's important to me. He also makes the time to play silly games with our girls. Lately it's been Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, or Super Heroes. These games generally include acting, props, and sometimes even costumes. They are so cute playing together!

These things are really a big deal when I think of how busy he is. Scott gets up between 4 and 5 every morning to grade papers, read stuff for class, prepare for his classes to teach, and work on papers. He isn't actually at school for hours and hours a day, but he works on school for hours and hours a day. He is always coming to bed hours after I go, which is usually about 10:30 or 11, because he is still working on something. He occasionally takes a break to write his blog, or watch a show with me, but these breaks are not very often. It's hard on all of us to have him working at home. For both me and the girls it's hard to realize that although he's "here" he is really busy and can't play/help as much as we would like. And he always wishes he could do more with us.

I feel like kind of a whimp when I realize how much some other husbands are really gone. I know that I am very blessed to even see my husband every day. Scott has received some joking comments recently about how he has all of this free time and such, I don't really think that's very funny, because it's just not true. I just want him to know how much I appreciate all the hard work he does for our family. I'm thankful that he has found a job he loves. And, I'm glad that he's working hard to keep me near my family, which is so important to me.

I love you Scott. Thanks for all you do.

8 comments:

Jen said...

You have one great husband and family! I know what you mean about how hard it is to have your husband working from home. Today I told Jason that I want him to go work in the office again, because sometimes it is just easier that way.

Rebecca said...

Though this might go to his head, I am pretty proud of my brother for how hard he works for your family. It's not easy in any situation with having little kids at home and having to balance family, school, church and work.

Steve and Jamie said...

I hate it that Steve is gone all the time. But I'm like Jen, after he is home for a day or two, I'm ready for him to go back to work. When Steve was in school, it was really hard to have him study all the time at home.

I'm happy that you have such a good husband!

Corrie- said...

What a great blog Sarah! I think few people realize how demanding being in education can be. I'm sure from your own experience, and now with Scott you know this better than most! How proud you must be. I too hate it when people say that I must have gone into teaching for my summer's off. That is so not the case. Of course I'm not in my actual classroom, but I take classes (that I have to pay for myself), am making new things for the next year and teaching summer school. You go Scott! You're an obviously dedicated teacher. I hope your students realize that. (I'm stepping off my soapbox now.)

chelle said...

What a sweet blog. I don't know scott to weel and this gave me a little glimpse into who he really is. Sounds like you landed a great oen Sarah! :D

Mama D said...

What a neat tribute to your hubby! You seem like a great couple.

I know noticing the little things our spouses do and expressing appreciation for them is really important. (And encourages them to do more!) I've not learned this naturally, by the way. I have to work at it. But it is really important in relationships of all types, including those with our kids.

Mama D said...

Oh, we have experienced that challenge of separation between work/school and home. It is a delicate balance that is constantly evolving! In many ways it is nice to have Ray work from home so often, but it is also hard to draw the line of when to interrupt him or not.

Years ago, as we were first working this out, he finally said, "If I were working in an office across town would you all call me to tell me about it, or would you wait until I got home?" That helps us know how to balance these issues.

Leslie said...

Sometimes it's harder to have them (our hubbies) present, but unavailable. It's so hard to not talk to him and to let him get his work done.

I think you guys do a great job!