Sunday, May 3, 2009

A new favorite.

So, this morning (after getting to sleep until 7:00, hallelujah!) I was reading the Ensign from November's General Conference.  My current scripture reading consists of the current month's Ensign and when I'm through with that I read a talk from the current Conference edition.  

Since it's been 6 months, I've read about all of the talks from November's conference issue at least once.  Some I've read twice because I particularly liked them.  However, this one I kept skipping.  It was from the Priesthood session and it's called "O Ye That Embark."  I assumed it was about preparing to go on a mission.  Not so.  (I know, I know... I shouldn't assume, and I shouldn't skip priesthood session talks just because they weren't addressed to ME in the first place!)

I really enjoyed this talk.  It's about carrying our burdens of service, and how the Lord will lift us when we feel we cannot continue to do what He has asked us to. (As long as we keep doing our part, that is.)  President Eyring starts  with a line that says "Most of you have discovered that your priesthood duties will stretch you to the point that you wonder if you can stretch that far."  I have felt this way a lot in my life.  Sometimes I feel punished by my willingness to do what I am asked to do in the church.  I know that's not a good thing, and I'm not proud of it, but it's true.  The past several months have been particularly difficult for me in that area.  I have felt like "I'm having a baby, my husband is working 2 jobs, we have 4.5 callings between the two of us.  WHY CAN'T SOMEONE ELSE DO THE WORK!?!?"  (Once again, I'm really not proud of this)  I have even come to the point of trying to get Scott to get rid of some of his responsibilities so he can help me more. (Talk about selfishness!)  

So, as I realized this morning through reading this talk, the Lord has been supporting us through all of this despite my bad attitude.  Guess how rotten I felt when I read this "When those feelings of inadequacy strike us, it is the time to remember the Savior.  He assures us that we don't do this work alone."  Duh!  Why did I not think of that on my own!?  

Things have worked out fine for us.  There have been stressful Sundays when Scott has had to leave early and skip dinner and be out late in order to fulfil his callings.  But, guess what?  We're all still alive.  We're doing well, actually.  The Lord has helped us. I'm hoping that I can continue to grow and be more selfless in this area.  "Then our power to carry burdens can be increased more than enough to compensate for the increased service we will be asked to give."

It's a really good talk, check it out.

2 comments:

chelle said...

Thanks Sarah! I REALLY needed this talk. I will have to go find my Ensign so I can read it and reread it!
Even though i have felt the Lord lifting my burdens lately, I am still a whiner. =\

Mama D said...

Great insight!! The Conf talks give such timely counsel. I have been helped numerous times in just such a way as this talk helped you.