This is from November of 1997. He was 17. (I was 14. Just to give you some perspective) I'll put my commentary in brackets, just so you know.
"My taste in women is different. I told my Sunday School teacher that I'd never marry a normal mainstream girl who resembles in every way Doris Day. [I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I guess I'm not normal or mainstream!] I need a girl like the girls I write about--different. Strange. Weird. Someone who hasn't been sheltered all her life. I don't want a girl who follows blindly everything she's told. I want her to be unpredictable. I want a free spirit with a lust for life. The same lust for life I have. One who desires poverty because it will make her a better person. [I hope poverty makes me a better person because this is my life!!] One with lofty ideas like that. I want her to be kind to anyone, regardless. I want her to never look down on anyone. She won't be a gossip. She won't be crude. She'll have class--but not snobby. Even the lowliest can have class."
I guess I'll have to work on not being crude and keeping a classy lowliness...we all have things to work on, right!?
So...is that me? Or did his ideals change over the years? I'm not entirely sure. We laughed at how dramatic it all is. Did you have any idea that my husband was such a dramatic fellow? Maybe that's why he's such a good seminary teacher. He REALLY remembers what it was like :)
I love my husband. I'm glad he kept a journal when he was a teenager. He's always been better than me at that. Besides being exceptionally amusing to me, I think it will be fun to show these to our kids when they are the same age.
5 comments:
He sounded so serious and sure of it when he was 17... I'm surprised he didn't have a form ready to interview prospective girlfriends! I think you fit his description pretty well. Except maybe the strange, weird part. (Maybe you should work on that?!)
I hope he gives you permission to post more!!
That had to be fun to read for the first time! I also can't believe he was 17 when he wrote it. Definitely mature for his age. (Or I was extrememly immature at 17.) btw - How did the doctor's go?
Oh my - my son is definitely his own person - always has been and always will be. Sorry but I don't think that you are weird or strange. And you are not Doris Day. Happy Reading!
That is too funny. Such deep thoughts and ideas for a 17 yr old! I love it!
I think you are above and beyond any of his expectations Sarah!
Scott was really sure of what he wanted, even at that age! I agree with Chelle - you far surpass his expectations!
Post a Comment