Monday, June 23, 2008

It was love at first sight...

Connor has recently found a love of one of God's strangest creatures...the cicada.
We were visiting her Aunt Rebecca when Connor saw her first cicada shell. She was crushed (no pun intended) when the shell crumbled to pieces on the car ride home as she was trying to hang it from her shirt. To calm her sobbing, I had her call Grandpa and he assured her that she could find some at his house very soon. The pictures tell most of the rest of the story.

She only likes dead ones. I'm not sure if that makes it any better!


No, she wasn't trying to eat it. In fact, she got very upset when Daddy and Uncle Brandon decided it would be super awesome to cook a cicada eat it and broadcast the whole thing on YouTube. Needless to say, her tears won out. There was no eating of cicadas, much to Scott's chagrin. And Connor was so proud, telling me the whole afternoon about how Daddy was going to do something very naughty and she wouldn't let him!


So, she sat staring at the thing and making it dance for about half an hour. When she decided it was hot enough to go inside she was very upset when I told her Grandpa wouldn't like a cicada in the house. To stop the tears, grandma gave her a very special box to keep it in. She spent the afternoon protecting her friend (in his box) from Emily and Nicholas (two very active toddlers)! You haven't lived until you have heard the thunk of a cicada being shaken inside a metal box. Thanks grandma for saving the day! We still have the little bugger, I'm trying to decide when I can dispose of it without a complete meltdown.

6 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm sure Olivia could cure any fear of live Cicada's! What's more gross...dead or alive?
Do we have to address Scott as Master now? haha I'm going to address Aaron that way(but it won't be for nine more months).
So fun that you got to go to Utah...I really need a trip there!!! I think your new sis-in-law's wedding dress is the same as my sister's!

Louann and Bari said...

What is it about those ugly bugs and the kids who love them? One of the boys Katy nanny's for, puts the 'lovely' cicada's on his nose! Wow- and congrats to Scott.

Patty said...

Hmmm... from the sounds of it, I guess I'm the only grown up girl who likes the cicadas. Aimee and I were thrilled to be here when the cicadas were swarming! (Yes, I am officially very weird!)
Great pics! (Keep testing the waters on when to pitch the dead cicada... hopefully she won't be attached to it for too long!!)

Kristen said...

Well at least she won't mind those science classes when she gets older of dissecting things, right? We'll look at the upsides here. : )

Kathy JH said...

Connor is so cute. Tell her that she can bury her ciccada and then she can decorate her box and make it look very princessy and she can keep some of her princessy stuff in it.

Mama D said...

Okay, so Connor and Olivia are well-paired friends. I just don't get the fascination with these creatures. Ugh. Sorry, Connor, Olivia, and Patty, yes I think you're strange. But I'm entirely open to the idea that it really is *me* who is strange!

I like grandma's idea of letting Connor bury her cicada. That would help both of you.